Skip to main content

Vegan Food In Stoke

Sorry for disappearing again, the drugs I'm taking for my heart are knocking me sideways...

I'm on light duties at work (meaning Sime won't let me do much), but I'm fine sitting here.

I still can't believe I ended up in hospital last week, such a shame after having a great time in Stoke.

It's always lovely to see our folks (hope you're feeling better, Nana Stip-Pep) & so good that we managed to visit Shelley, an old musician friend of Sime's (they were in a band together: The Hidden Persuaders). Though disappointing that we didn't have time to see Grenson, an old work mate who had been in hospital (sorry - next time)!

My GP has left a message wanting to know what happened & I'm reluctant to phone back, because I know there will be a lecture...

Anyway, time for some food photies & I'm slowly trying to catch up with other blogs.

You might remember that our first night in Stoke we were going to eat at the pub attached the hotel...
Thanks to Jay, the chef - we had a filling meal with VIP treatment.

He made us a vegan pizza, covered in jalapeños (which were extremely hot)...

And a baked potato with vegetables in a spicy tomato sauce.

We were really grateful for his help & when we left, he said he was going to look into having a vegan dish on the menu.

We couldn't go to Stoke without eating at The Big Strawberry - our second visit...


We decided to go for the works...

Starting with fruit cocktails.
Tropical on the left & Berry on the right...

We both had Thai vegetable soup, which was delicious...

Then instead of a panini - Charlie (the owner) made me a pizza...

And Sime had a burger & we shared the salad...

We forgot to photograph the chocolate brownies, which Charlie made while we were eating our main course. 
These were washed down with delicious frothy hot chocolates!
We had a wonderful time - eating & chatting, we felt like VIPs yet again...
Thanks to Crazy Charlie, who looked after us brilliantly & at the age of 20 - not only makes some outstanding grub, but finds time to write novels (which sound fantastic)!

We both agree that we would love to own a cafe like The Big Strawberry, it would make us very happy!

We'll get there - one day!


Kay & Sime
xx


Comments

Mug of TV said…
You are looking well after all you've been through -hope you're on the mend. Sorry to hear of what happened - looks like MrS is looking after you though!
xxx
Thank you The Magatha, the annoying thing is it's the bloody hospital stay & the drugs which make me feel ill, but otherwise I am fine - even the medical staff kept commenting on how well I looked for someone supposedly ill... Sime is the best looker-afterer ever!!!

Kay :)
Scarlet said…
I'm pleased you are taking it easy - that's quite an ordeal that you need to recover from, thanks to people who wouldn't listen to you. It looks and sounds like you had a good trip to Stoke - the food looks yum. Such a shame that it ended horribly. Keep resting - I'm sure Sime will continue to make sure that you do!
Thanks Scarlet - I can't get on to your blog, by the way...

I'm just glad work has slowed down... Love being at home - our fire is roaring & we're sleeping next to it tonight!

Night, night.

Kay :)
Kath said…
I'm pleased you are taking it easy, it's quite hard tho isn't it?
Your food looks wonderful, sounds like a great meal, what a fab guy the chef sounds!
Get well, but at your own pace xx
Thanks Kath - it is difficult, more frustrating because I get really tired quickly!

I just realised that I didn't mention that Charlie is a girl... She's great fun & such a character! Nor did I mention that she only charged us £20 for everything & gave us a doggy bag with more brownies...

Kay :)
Catherine said…
Gosh ~ I sure hope you get feeling tip top soon Kay. All that food looks yummy!

Wishing you and Sime a beautiful weekend!
xo Catherine

Popular posts from this blog

Diet And Drugs

Some of you know about my fight with Graves Disease, an auto immune system disorder, which causes an overactive thyroid. Since I was diagnosed 7 years ago, I have made it my business to know everything I possibly could about the condition & this has probably saved my life. I have blood tests on a regular basis & in November last year, I was told that my T4 levels are normal & again in January the same.  My thyroid stimulating hormone was finally starting to work too, after 7 years of lying dormant, so I suggested I came off the anti thyroid drug & my GP's response was to continue for a while longer. A month ago, I rang my GP & suggested again that I come off the drug or at least halve it, as I was feeling so well  & was concerned about the drug pushing me into being under active. Again, she said to be patient & they would send for me when it's time for a blood test. I don't normally do as I'm told, but decided to stick with it a b

Our Neighbours

The ladies next door have been giving birth in the field. Their babies are like any other babies - they sleep, they feed, they follow their mums everywhere, they run around, then fall asleep again.  These little beauties are completely unaware of their fate... But we know... And this is one thing which makes living here difficult. How can people eat other beings without feeling terrible?     It just doesn't make sense. Both the posters are from the  Cornwall Vegans  website. If you are in Cornwall or will be on Saturday 22nd April - do support this event! Perhaps you have been considering veganism - this  Vegan Starter Kit  will help you to get started and if you have any questions, need help or ideas for recipes - just ask, we are always happy to talk to folks who want to change their diet for the better. And in case you haven't seen this on iplayer - Here is  Simon Amstell's Carnage . Please, please think seriousl

Nettles

Our garden yesterday. Tall Nettles TALL nettles cover up, as they have done These many springs, the rusty harrow, the plough Long worn out, and the roller made of stone: Only the elm butt tops the nettles now. This corner of the farmyard I like most: As well as any bloom upon a flower I like the dust on the nettles, never lost Except to prove the sweetness of a shower. ~ Edward Thomas ~ Every time we venture out to pick nettles, Sime always goes on about this poem! Anyway, thought I'd share with you the article I've written for next month's Parish Magazine... Our hedgerows are coming alive with food aplenty, but hardly anyone really notices the nettles that surround us, they grow quietly while using their juices to produce a medicine that can bring health. Anaemia, arthritis, rickets, tuberculosis, respiratory diseases, colds, catarrh and lymphatic problems can all benefit from this wonderful wild and free super food. Nettles are rich in ca